Sunday, July 5, 2009

Happy 4th of July!

Well, this weekend I took full advantage of my new oven...and it was GLORIOUS!

We were attending a potluck 4th of July party with some friends and everyone was instructed to bring a side dish. I decided to be brave and attempt a new recipe that I saw on Pioneer Woman. I also made what I have deemed my "famous" peanut butter cookies, just in case the mac & cheese bombed. I didn't want to show up empty handed!

I wish I had more pictures of the mac & cheese adventure but at one point I almost had a meltdown and had hubby speeding to the grocery store for more milk when I thought I had messed up the roux. It ended up coming together and seemed to be a success but I will definitely be trying it again (probably in a small batch...) in attempts for perfection.


Here is after the panic subsided. It actually looks like real mac & cheese! (PS...Mine has ZERO calories! I'm amazing, I know)


Finished product! This is a box and a half...probably too much but...thank God half a box fell on the floor or I would have run out of room!

Because I have to make things as stressful and complicated as possible, I used Monterey Jack and Sharp Cheddar cheese for my sauce, added sauteed shallots and green chilies to the mixture, and sprinkled Pepper Jack on top for some added spice!

I would highly recommend this recipe but...2 boxes is too much! : )

Happy Cooking!


No comments: