Monday, July 20, 2009

Cake and Hubby

On Saturday I was lucky enough to attend and make the cake for my boss's wife Jennifer's baby shower!

You might remember her from the cake class!

Her and her husband are having a little boy any day now, and they are decorating his room with a nautical theme, therefore what more fitting than a sail boat cake!



Now the story for this festive cake!

An old friend (well she isn't old but we have been friends since middle school so you catch what I'm throwing) and I made plans to go to dinner last Friday night. I NEVER get to see her so there was NO way I was canceling once I realized I would be making the cake for the shower I was attending the next day.

I had the cake baked and ready to go by the time I left for dinner, and told myself that I couldn't stay TOO long because I knew I had a lot of work ahead of me.

Well...when I walked in the house at 9:00PM...I knew it was going to be a long night. I just went ahead and rolled up my sleeves and got to work.

After cutting the cake into the shapes I needed, I was quick to realize that...
A) I think I misjudge how GIANT my cake pan was and therefore how GIANT the cake was...
B) I don't think 156 people would be attending the shower
and
C) I had nothing big enough to put the cake on!

I ended up taping 2 boards together to make a GIANT cake board and again...started to work. Looking back, I think I was just a titch over confident when thinking about this cake. I thought it would EASY PEASY...not so much.

This is where my knight comes in! Hubby is the calm one. The one that brings back to the ground when I get out of control. The one who always knows what to do. This again, is why I adore him.

By about 10:00PM he had helped me cut and stain the mast for the boat, gave me ideas on shapes and sizes, and eventually had to get to bed because he had to work the next morning. It was probably for the best, because when I had to make another batch of icing at 11:30, I might have cried if he was watching.

At about...


Hubby realized that I was still working on this damn cake!



He came out of the bedroom to help me keep my cool, give me some ideas,


help fix some corners, and tell me everything was going to be okay.

He stayed up with me until I was done, and then got up at 6:00 the next morning. He is pretty much amazing.

Overall I think everyone liked the cake, and so did Jennifer which is most important. The shower was great and it was so exciting to be apart of their special event!

Happy Decorating and Happy Marriage!

No comments: