Monday, June 22, 2009

My Smallest Mutt

After moving into our first home together in 2004, my hubby and I realized that our then 3 year old, precious Australian Sheppard Mix, Bubba needed a companion. In the late summer of the same year, we began on our journey to find him a friend. We went to just about every animal shelter and adoption facility in the area...leaving me in tear EVERY time, until we finally stumbled on 'Diamond' at the Bedford Animal Shelter. 'Diamond' was a year-old, black Pomeranian mix who was nothing but fur. She had a small white patch on her chest and couldn't have weighed more than 10 pounds. She had been found wandering the streets of Fort Worth and had some how found her way to Bedford. She was new to the shelter and had roughly 48 more hours of waiting until the shelter deemed her adoptable. My hubby was in love instantly. I on the other hand...wasn't so sure.

I was raised with medium to large dogs for the most of my life (with a
cocker spaniel thrown in there for good measure). I was used to dogs that tripped you, got in your way, and ate everything in sight.

A small dog? Really? I loved dogs...
don't get me wrong but this mop was barely a dog! And a Pomeranian? Really? Aren't they prissy and stuck up? The last thing I needed was a diva in the house.

My hubby and I left with the intentions of talking about things and coming back the next day to see her. We went back the following day and I admitted that the second time around, her
pitifulness was pretty adorable. We agreed to stop by the following day, when she was ready for adoption, visit her one more time and then make our decision.

The following day, we went back, and just couldn't leave the shelter without her. I'm sure she had no idea what she was in for and pretty much wanted nothing to do with
Bubba when we first brought her home. I wasn't sure that we had done the right thing, the whole point was a companion and a friend for him, and she isn't even interested! I even thought about taking her back...I shutter at the thought now...

Well it did take some time and a bit of an adjustment, but before we knew it...'Diamond' aka Vegas and
Bubba were inseparable.



We now consider her, his shadow. She has even learned to "mark" her territory and "assert her dominance" if you know what I mean? (awkward...) Vegas brings nothing but absolute joy and amusement into my life each and every day.

She is our loner at the dog park, our vicious attack dog on walks, and she is able to entertain herself with ease. She is one of the loves of my life and if I am ever having a bad day...all I have to do is watch this...



(Yes it is taken with our camera...yes the quality isn't that great...yes you can actually hear the zooming...yes it is having trouble focusing...BUT ISN'T SHE ADORABLE?!)




(and yes, I cut the ears and tail off of a $13.00 pig toy with no stuffing and 5 squeekers in hopes that it would last just a LITTLE bit longer than most)

Happy Adoption!



1 comment:

Me said...

Awwww LOL I'm so glad I saw that before starting what is SURE to be a LOUSY work day!!!