Friday, August 28, 2009

Hit & Run, Damn Dogs and Meatballs

Well first and foremost, Happy Friday! I hope you have big and exciting plans for the weekend!

So on my way home last night, I witnessed a Hit and Run! Nothing serious but I just couldn't believe it! I was on the frontage road of the George Bush (because we are trying to save money and let's face it...it costs roughly $345.76 to use the George Bush each day so...you do the math) going straight at a light when a pickup decided to go straight in a turn lane and hit another car! The other car's tire screeched and they over corrected and eventually ended up pulling over on the overpass they were turning on to and the truck just kept going! I wasn't at a safe place where I could stop and I worried that if I tried to go back around, they would be gone, so I quickly wrote down their license plate number and called Hubby (because he always knows what to do). He called the Non-emergency Police and they said they had a call from the driver that was hit, so they added the license plate to the report. I just couldn't believe it. WHO DOES THAT?! Even if you don't insurance, you were in broad daylight, someone (including God) saw you! Idiots.

Then I promptly went home to find that the dogs are either digging to China or...trying to catch the moles that are living on the other side of our fence. Yay! They are trying to kill me. Bubba and Bailey have just been going to town trying to dig up our new bushes and frankly it makes me crazy. Yes, I do care about the yard BUT what I worry about more is that we have a busy street behind us! What if they get in co-hoots and double time a hole and dig under the fence. The thought makes my stomach lurch.

Hubby and I filled the holes with dog poop. And then beat the dogs with shovels. Just kidding...about the dog poop.

For dinner was homemade meatballs in marinara over a nice spaghetti/linguine mix (I ran out of spaghetti). Coming off the devastation that was the Joy of Cooking meatballs (read the recipe and you will understand...when it told me to roll them in corn meal, that should have been my first clue), these things were awesome! I adapted a recipe I found on Big Mama and it was delicious! Here's what I did:

1 package extra lean ground turkey
1/2 cup bread crumbs
1/4ish of Parmesan cheese, grated
Salt
Pepper
Onion Powder
Garlic Salt (I am out of Garlic Powder)
Italian Seasoning
2 eggs (cage free of course), beaten

Mix and then roll into balls. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes, then flip them. Bake another 5 minutes.

During that last five minutes, I threw some chopped red onion and garlic into a pan and sauteed until the onions were transparent. Then I added a jar of marinara and 1/2 cup chicken broth (which I used to clean out the jar). When my meatballs were done in the oven I added them to my pan and simmered for 15 minutes. Then I flipped them and simmered for another 15 minutes.

Serve over pasta and enjoy!

I will definitely be making these bad boys again...BUT I will probably half the recipe as it made approximately 162 meatballs for the 2 of us. Go make it for dinner and tell me what you think!

Happy Friday!