Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Garlicky Spaghetti with Beans and Greens

So this recipe that I found in my August edition of my Cooking Light magazine appealed to me for three reasons:

1) No meat - Always looking for good recipes with no meat
2) It has "lick" in the title
3) It rhymes

I mean, what more can you ask for?!

I made it last night and I must tell you, it was delicious!

Yield - 6 servings (serving size: about 1 1/3 cups)
Ingredients
8 ounces uncooked spaghetti
-> I used wheat pasta.
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons minced fresh garlic
-> I totally used the stuff in the jar and it worked just fine.
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
2 cups grape tomatoes, halved
1 (16-ounce) can cannellini beans or other white beans, rinsed and drained

-> I used canned chick peas because that is what I had in the pantry...well actually I misread the recipe and thought that it called for them. No judgements for my hurried reading.
5 ounces arugula leaves
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1/2 cup (2 ounces) grated Parmesan cheese

Preparation
1. Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Drain pasta in a colander over a bowl, reserving 1/2 cup pasta water. Place pasta in a small bowl. Add 1/4 teaspoon salt, tossing gently. Set aside, and keep warm.
2. Return pan to medium heat. Add oil, garlic, and pepper; cook 2 minutes or until garlic is lightly browned, stirring occasionally. Stir in remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, tomatoes, and beans; cook 2 minutes. Add pasta; cook 4 minutes, stirring frequently. Add reserved pasta water and arugula, tossing gently to combine. Remove from heat. Stir in lemon juice and cheese. Serve immediately.

Nutritional Information
Calories: 290
Fat: 10.5g (sat 2.7g,mono 5.8g,poly 1.3g)
Protein: 11.3g
Carbohydrate: 38.1g
Fiber: 3.7g
Cholesterol: 8mg
Iron: 2.4mg
Sodium: 469mg
Calcium: 173mg


Try it. Love it. Share it.

Happy Cooking!

1 comment:

Hannah b. said...

Girl r u a vegetarian?!