Monday, August 10, 2009

Weekend at the Movies

So we are definitely movie watchers at the Holladay home but this weekend was crazy! While we should have been using this time to relive John Hughes because let's be honest, Weird Science and Pretty in Pink are probably 2 of the greatest movies ever made, we unintentionally watched 5 completely unrelated flicks in 3 days!

Friday night Hubby and I had intentions on having a date night...yay! We found movie times and went to Costa Vida to grab a bite to eat (small veggie salad...DELICIOUS!) and then headed to the new Colleyville Cinema. We were going to see Transformers in the IMAX until we asked and found out that the tickets were $11.50...EACH! Are you kidding me?! No thanks. We headed to Blockbuster and rented:

Taken with Liam Neelson and Famke Janssen (aka Jean Grey in X-men).
Wow...this was a good movie. Hard to watch and a little stomach turning due to his daughter being kidnapped and sold into a sex ring and her being sold for $500K because she was a virgin, but still a good movie despite all that. I did cry, but I don't think normal people would. I give it 4 out of 5 stars. Hubby liked it too. Car chases and fighting, what more can you ask for?

Revolutionary Road with Leonardo DiCaprio and Kate Winslet. At this point we were realizing that we should have opted for a comedy as well. Hubby was not a fan but I definitely was. This movie, if you don't already know, takes place in the 1950s when the "ideal family" liked the cookie cutter life with 2 kids, preferably a boy and a girl, and everyone was "happy" and everything was "perfect". Leo and Kate play a couple that fell into this cookie cutter and soon realize that this life contains NOTHING that they are interested in. They decide to pack up and move to Paris hoping to really start living, and they soon begin to truly come alive. This movie is emotional, impactful, and really makes you understand why everyone back in the day drank all the time. I didn't cry but was very moved. I give it a 4 out of 5.

Saturday was filled with errands, house cleaning, and a three hour lunch with one of my customers from BEK! We had a yummy dinner and then came back to the house and decided to watch:

Seven Pounds with Will Smith and Rosario Dawson. Hubby had already seen it but I convinced him to watch it again because I had heard such mixed reviews and wanted to form an opinion on my own. This was definitely a good movie. I have to say definitely impactful again. The character I felt the most for was Woody Harrelson, his story tugged at my heart. This movie made me wonder if I would be considered a good person. Would someone, a stranger, look at the story of my life and say "she was a good person"? I give it 4 out of 5.

Sunday was cleaning and a movie with Mom! We saw:

The Ugly Truth with Katherine Heigl and Gerard Butler (who looked at lot different than he did in 300!). So cute. My aunt and mom were turned off by the language but I thought it was hilarious. Although some parts could have done without, it added to the funniest and let's be honest here, who doesn't need a little c@ck in their life. Although totally predictable, it was still a fun and light hearted flick. I give it 3 out of 5.

To top of the weekend, last night was filled with a crappy dinner and The Day the Earth Stood Still with Keanu Reeves and Jennifer Connelly. Although I didn't have high hopes to begin with, I didn't turn it off (like Garfield: The Movie). If wasnt great but held my attention none the less. You life will not be changed if you do or do not see this movie. I give it 2 out of 5.

So there you have it. A completely unintentional movie weekend! Love it!

Happy Popcorn! (although I didn't have any and that is just not right!)

No comments: