Friday, September 24, 2010

BBB

*I had pictures but my blog is being finicky...boo!
During the first few weeks after P was born, I dreaded nighttime. Big time. During the day, I seemed to keep it together but once night time came, I was a mess.
P was a good sleeper from the get-go. He just liked his sleep, takes after mom and dad, I suppose. The problem was, is that he would spend most of the DAY sleeping and then at night, he was wide awake. I know having your days and nights mixed up is pretty common for babies but it really is tough. I never listened to anyone and go in the habit of "napping while he was napping" so unfortunately, come night time...I was tired and ready for bed. P on the other hand had been sleeping all
day and was ready to party! (party = stare at nothing while his parents acted a fool)

The swing was our saving grace throughout the first few weeks. Heck we still use it now for naptime but that is another post for another day. P LOVES the swing. We would get him fed, changed, burped, and calmed down and then we would "swing it out". Good times. Anyways, during all this, for some reason, the nights would make me very lonely and depressed. Waking up in the middle of the night. Sitting in a dark house with a crying baby, trying to figure out how to console him was tough. Very tough. As he got older, things did get easier and as I figured out how to comfort him, that depression slowly faded away. A week or so before I started back to work, Hubby and I decided to try and get P into a bedtime routine. Nothing concrete, just paving the way for a consistent schedule. Feeding times were still up in the air, but we knew if nothing else, we could give him a bath at somewhat the same time every evening and just go from there.
This started our nightly routine and is now my absolute favorite time of the day. We call it our BBB.
We start with a bath..
Then "supper". Interrupt that 'B' how you will...

Then bed. 
I rock P until he is falling asleep and then into the crib he goes. When he is full and happy and just lays on my shoulder, I can't imagine being anywhere else. I often use this time to pray and count my blessings and just relish in the time that I can spend with him when he is willing and able to just lay and snuggle-bug on me because I know, especially with a little boy, those times won't be around for forever. 

Happy Slumber!

3 comments:

megan @ whatmegansmaking said...

I haven't checked in on your blog in a little while - I'm glad to see things are going well! I can't imagine how tough that would be to be up in the middle of the night with a baby who doesn't want to sleep. He's really cute though, if that helps any! :)

Me said...

Awwww Meggles, what an adorable post!!! I can just see you two snuggling =)

grandpa Joe said...

Sounds like motherhood has set in as you relaize the maricle you created !