Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Howdy Folks! Welcome to the State Fair of Texas!

Hubby and I typically make it to the fair about every other year. This is just long enough for us to remember why we don't go every year and why it is so unfun. This year was our year to go and I am excited to say that it was actually fun, I am so glad we went, and I can't wait to go next year!

It was a spur of the moment decision to go this weekend because we realized that next weekend was not only the last weekend, but Texas vs OU weekend and let's be honest, my heart can't take that kind of stress.

We headed towards Fair Park around 1:30 and although it took us quite awhile (about 45 minutes) to find a place to park, we found a lot that looked legit, and there was more of a possibility that our car would be there when we got back. $30 later, we were officially enjoying the State Fair of Texas!


We checked out the 2010 Auto Show, the Food and Fiber Exhibit, and of course the Dancing Dog Show!


We even stopped and shared a corn dog! (The line for fried butter was literally 36 miles long...I was good.)

Borden brought their mascot. This is Elsie.

I wish I could have cownapped her. I think the dogs would love her and we have lots of grass that she could enjoy!

It started raining towards the end of our visit. Hubby wasn't sure what he wanted to try, but we finally decided to spend our last 14 tickets on a GIANT pickle (I have a picture but let's be honest...who wants to see me chowing down on that...) and...

FRIED CHEESECAKE!

I don't like cheesecake really BUT I can appreciate it for what it is. I tried it and I have to admit, it was pretty freaking delicious and a good portion size! No skimping here!

As we were checking out an exhibit on organic lawn care, we couldn't help but notice the 5 SUVs lead by motorcops and followed by screaming people with cameras. I happened to glance over and see a familar  hand hanging out the window...it was...OPRAH! I saw Oprah's hand people! I knew it was hers the minute I saw it. Based on this encounter, I feel that Oprah and I are pretty much BFF.

Okay okay...I heard rumors that her show was taping there...probably to show American how glutenous us Texans are with our fried butter! If I hadn't have known that, I don't know that I would have put two and two together. But regardless...Oprah and I are soul sisters at this point.

I am so glad Hubby and I went. It was fun to spend time with him, see lots of cute dogs "dance", and run in the rain with our GIANT pickle and fried cheesecake in tow.

Happy Fair Day!

1 comment:

Me said...

LOL Meggles I love your posts! ahahahahaha You crack me up!!! The fair looks like so much fun!!!! We have TONS of fairs here at the end of summer!!!

I'm so glad that you and OPRAH became friends!!! : )