Monday, October 12, 2009

Breakfast of Champions!

Yesterday morning Hubby and I debated on whether or not we should go out and grab some breakfast before heading to the State Fair. He had some work to do, so we decided to save money and I made waffles instead!

I laugh everytime I make waffles because the tiny waffle iron that I have, came with my mom's George Forman Grill and for some reason, I find that hilarious.


(pretend like you see sugar too please...)

Belgian Waffles
2 cups cake flour
1 T baking powder
1/4 t baking soda
1/4 t salt
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 cup milk
2 eggs
1/4 cup melted margarine
1 t vanilla

Preheat waffle iron.
In a large bowl, stir together dry ingredients. Make a well in the center and add the remaining ingredients. Stir until just combine, do not overmix. Batter should be lumpy.
Spray waffle iron with nonstick spray and pour in 1/4-1/2 cup per waffle.



I typically pour in a little less batter for my first waffle. They make for good taste testers!



This recipe makes about 10-12 waffles. Enough for breakfast as well as some leftovers!

So a quick tip if you don't have buttermilk on hand, which I didn't. To make 1 cup of buttermilk, simply add 1 Tablespoon of lemon juice to your empty measuring cup. Fill with milk to make 1 cup. For this recipe, it was only 1/2 cup therefore I did 1 1/2 teaspoons (because 3t = 1T) lemon juice to make 1/2 cup buttermilk. Let stand 5 minutes before using and there you go!

Why is the buttermilk so important? Well, just in case you were wondering, baking powder, unlike baking soda is a double leavening agent. Both are added to things to make them rise. Baking soda expands when exposed to heat, baking powder expands once when exposed to something acidic (the buttermilk) and again when exposed to heat. Feel free to share this with someone at your next cocktail party!

Try these waffles. They are delicious.

Happy Breakfast!

1 comment:

Me said...

You have no idea how much I love waffles. LOVE them. Now I want them SO bad. lol.