Friday, August 27, 2010

Reasonable Accomodations

So we are breast feeding and plan on doing it for as long as we can during P's first year. It really has more to do with being cheap than opposing formula.

Well since I am not around my kid when I am at work and he still has to eat, we all know what that means....well maybe not everyone knows....but that means pumping or as I affectionately call it...milking.

We wont get into the politics behind it (although I did vote for Obama so HA) but part of the recent Health Care Reform, now requires employers to provide women a "“reasonable break time” and a private, non-bathroom place to express breast milk during the workday, up until the child’s first birthday". When I was still pregnant I heard about this but didn't want to bring it up to my boss. Being that I am the other half of our department of two, I already felt bad enough that I was going to be taking time off and then to ask for a private place to express my boob juice, just felt like it was asking a lot...ridiculous, I know.

Anyways...because we do have female managers that work out in the field, one of our regional directors actually brought it to my boss's attention and created the perfect platform for me to bring it up as well. I volunteered to have Hubby come up and put blinds on my door (I have my own office) or hell, I would even settle for newspaper if necessary. It doesn't bother me any, I was just thrilled that there might be an option for me other than in the bathroom...which don't get me wrong would be fine but lets be honest, its not ideal. It was decided as a company that we would take it on a case by case basis and make reasonable accommodations where necessary.

Anyways, while I was gone, my boss had blinds installed on my door....awesome!

The first time to pump came around and don't get me wrong, I was nervous because hello...although I used a cover up that my awesome bestie gave me, its still kind of weird. I mean my boob is just out and about at work...in public. I just sucked it up though, got my stuff out and pulled down the blinds...


well hmmm...

I had a friend do a walk by and she assured me that nothing could be seen but it still made me laugh. My boss chatted me on Google Chat and the conversation went something like this:

My boss: "Do your blinds not go all the way down?"
Me: "No"
My boss: "I'm sorry, I thought they did. Feel free to put something in the gap if you want."
Me: "I had Leslie walk by and she said you cant see anything so as long as no one crawls by my office, we should be good."
My boss: "All crawlers will be sent to the HR department."

(This is funny because its funny and because he and I ARE the HR department!)

So I started pumping and all was well. I was switching sides when one of our regional directors came by and stood in front on my door, clearly confused as to why I had blinds and why they were down. So what would any logical person do in that situation...he bent down and looked under them....LOL....

I politely and of course while giggling said "give me just a second...". I finished and then went to find him. This is also funny because he is probably one of the nicest and most modest people in our company. He immediately apologized, looking totally embarrassed. I assured him that it was no big deal, to which he matter of factly replied..."I guess that is what they mean by reasonable accommodations". And dont worry, I reported him to the HR department.

Happy Pumping!

6 comments:

Me said...

HAHAHAHA I love the convo between you and your boss!

PS - If you're on google chat and bored ever, hit me up =) jbonzani@gmail.com

Jamie said...

I read this in a meeting and it took everything I had not to bust out laughing!

Me said...

I wish you could "like" comments here.... lol

Leslie said...

Hahahahhaa, I'm SOOO sorry! I promised I made a fuss about those silly blinds, but they never listen, do they? This just cracks me up!

Adeline said...

LOL! Does that mean you're going to cover the gap now??

Ellen Williamson said...

That's hilarious! Sounds like it'll work but I'm sure you were a little nervous at first. Love the blinds! I'd ask for that myself but I don't think it would work well in a cubicle ;)